Be the Peace!
School-based work in Frayser is changing lives
Be the Peace! is a program in several Frayser elementary schools where 5th grade students spend one day a week learning Playback theatre techniques and exploring their own stories. The decision to work with 5th graders is an intentional one as older students can grow and become role models for the younger students and help prepare them for their upcoming, often challenging, transition to middle school. By partnering with schools in Frayser, Playback Memphis is able to help strengthen social-emotional learning and positive school culture – one in which students can excel academically and socially.
Call 901-264-0841 or click here to discuss bringing Playback to your school.
Be the Peace School Partnership Program:
Partnership Program Components:
- Weekly hands-on programming with all 5th graders at each school
• Bi-Monthly school-wide assemblies/Playback theatre performances at each school.
• Development of a Frayser Youth Ensemble among cohort of 5th graders
• Professional development of teachers focused on trauma-informed mindful school leadership
Partnership Program Outcomes:
- Increase in self-efficacy and self-awareness
- Increase in empathy
- Increase in problem solving
- Increase in feeling safe at school
- Increase in feeling supported by adults
- Increase in sense of purpose/hope
- Increase in trust of professionals in uniform
- Increase in personal well-being
- Increase in understanding of the impact of ACE’s (Adverse Childhood Experiences) on students’ learning and behavior
- Increase in relational trust among faculty
- Increase in mindfulness skills in classroom
Be the Peace! Anti-Bullying Workshops
- Educates students about bullying so that they understand clearly what it is (and how it’s different from fighting)
- Provides affirmation and relief for students who have been bullied
- Empowers witnesses who want to decrease school bullying
- Provides a vocabulary to discuss and report bullying
- Identifies specific actions that students can take