- Playback’s Fruitful Partnership with MPD
- Memphis Matters: Play It Forward
- Soaring with Kate Schaeffer
- Kids Collaborating — Playback’s Pilot Programs in Frayser Schools
- Playback in the News!
- Giving Tuesday is today!
- Murphy: Allow Yourself to Be Guided
- Playback Memphis adds another stage for kinship, hope in Frayser
- June 23: Playback Partners With UPP For Parenting Workshop
- We Remember Verdell Smith
- Behold the power of Playback
- Fostering togetherness through theater arts
- Playback Memphis Works to Expand Reach
- National organization bringing Playback training to Memphis
- Playback Memphis: Performing the Peace
Playback Memphis is part of the reason I chose to move from Chicago to pursue my doctorate in clinical psychology at the University of Memphis. Over a year and a half ago, Dr. Bob Neimeyer told me about a project I could work on if I chose to come to Memphis. He described a truly remarkable vision – a collaborative, community-driven, creative, transformational project that immediately captured my attention and my heart!
A partnership between Playback Memphis, The University of Memphis, the Memphis Police Department and Lifeline to Success, a Frayser organization that helps ex-offenders reintegrate into their community, Performing the Peace developed out of the MPD’s concern regarding a lack of trust and positive communication between law enforcement and young people in struggling communities. Recent events in Ferguson, MO — and even more recently in Frayser itself — are clear expressions of the hunger communities have to be seen, heard, respected, and healed. There are many barriers to positive relations between ostracized groups, such as police and ex-offenders. Performing the Peace will ideally become a model that other communities can adopt to bring diverse people together in a context of safety and trust — and with hope that things can truly be different. I am humbled and privileged to be a part of this team, knowing that the power and influence of each individual partner is infinitely magnified by the collaboration.